Substantial potential in India for AMG brand: Mercedes boss Martin Schwenk

The just-launched A35 AMG is the most affordable performance car from Mercedes in the Indian market currently.Mercedes plans on adding to its list of Made-in-India AMG cars and sees a strong demand for these vehicles.
By : Shubhodeep Chakravarty
| Updated on: 26 Mar 2021, 06:06 PM
Martin Schwenk, MD and CEO at Mercedes-Benz India, seen here with the A-Class Limousine and the A35 AMG.
Martin Schwenk, MD and CEO at Mercedes-Benz India, seen here with the A-Class Limousine and the A35 AMG.
Martin Schwenk, MD and CEO at Mercedes-Benz India, seen here with the A-Class Limousine and the A35 AMG.
Martin Schwenk, MD and CEO at Mercedes-Benz India, seen here with the A-Class Limousine and the A35 AMG.

Mercedes-Benz has been on a product offensive in India with a special eye out on first-time buyers in the luxury car segment. And while the recently-launched A-Class Limousine may be specifically meant for a younger audience and those looking to break into the luxury car space for the first time ever, it is the potential that performance cars hold here that has the German car maker mighty excited.

Similar Cars

Find More Cars
Mercedes-benz A-class Limousine (HT Auto photo)
Mercedes-benz A-class Limousine
1332 cc | Petrol | Automatic (Dual Clutch) | 17.5 kmpl
₹39.9Lakhs*Onwards
Bmw 3 Series Gran Limousine (HT Auto photo)
Bmw 3 Series Gran Limousine
1998 cc | Petrol | Automatic (Torque Converter) | 15.3 kmpl
₹51.5Lakhs*Onwards
Mercedes-benz Amg A35 Limousine (HT Auto photo)
Mercedes-benz Amg A35 Limousine
1991 cc | Petrol | Automatic (Dual Clutch) | 13.39 kmpl
₹57.6Lakhs*Onwards
Mercedes-benz Amg Gla35 (HT Auto photo)
Mercedes-benz Amg Gla35
1991 cc | Petrol | Automatic (Dual Clutch) | 13.47 kmpl
₹58.8Lakhs*Onwards
Mercedes-benz Amg Glc43 Coupe (HT Auto photo)
Mercedes-benz Amg Glc43 Coupe
2996 cc | Petrol | Automatic (Torque Converter) | 9.5 kmpl
₹83.1Lakhs*Onwards

Mercedes had already revealed plans of locally assembling several AMG products in the country. On Thursday, the A35 AMG became the second AMG after the AMG GLC 43 Coupe to join the Made-in-India list. At 56.24 lakh (ex showroom), it is also the most affordable AMG. "We believe there is substantial potential in the AMG brand. The local production is driving the growth," Martin Schwenk, MD and CEO at Mercedes-Benz India, told HT Auto during a telephonic conversation. "Local manufacturing helps in keeping price points more affordable and practical."

Schwenk, however, feels a more affordable price point doesn't translate to a compromise on exclusivity. "Overall, the potential is there for these cars, but we are not diluting the brand image and that is not what we are intended to at all," he explained.

But while locally assembled performance cars can indeed escape high taxes imposed on vehicles brought in via the Completely Built Unit (CBU) route, the main thrust for Mercedes is still coming in from its traditionally luxurious offerings. Schwenk feels buying a luxury car is also lifestyle related. "I think luxury (car) customers often enjoy the feeling of driving the car. We have tried to implement that in styling on our offerings. Around 60% of the buyers for Mercedes are first-time buyers. The other 40% of the buyers already own a Mercedes and they want an additional vehicle for their families," he said, adding that while there is a little advantage for Mercedes sedans in India vis-a-vis SUVs, the ratio in terms of sales of each body type sold is near equal. "Sedans are essential for the development of luxury segments," he said.

First Published Date: 26 Mar 2021, 10:37 AM IST
Recommended For You
View All
NEXT ARTICLE BEGINS

Please provide your details to get Personalized Offers on

Choose city
+91 | Choose city
Choose city
Choose city
By clicking VIEW OFFERS you Agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy

Dear Name

Please verify your mobile number.

+91 | Choose city