Over 1.20 lakh fatal accidents took place in 2020 in India; victims mostly young

  • The total number of fatal accidents in 2020 is 12.23 per cent lower than the 2019 figure of 1,37,689.
File photo of a road accident used for representational purpose only (HT_PRINT)
File photo of a road accident used for representational purpose only

The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH) has informed that a total of 1,20,806 fatal accidents were reported during the calendar year 2020, and the deceased were largely young people in productive age groups. A report titled 'Road accidents in India - 2020', said that out of a total 1,20,806 fatal accidents, 43,412 (35.9 per cent) accidents happened on National Highways, 30,171 (25 per cent) on State Highways and 47,223 (39.1 per cent) on other roads.

However, the report informed that the total number of fatal accidents in 2020 is 12.23 per cent lower than the 2019 figure of 1,37,689. "Road accident severity measured by the number of persons killed per 100 accidents, however, saw an increase of 2.3 percentage points during 2020," the report stated.

Also check these Vehicles

Find more Cars
Harley-davidson Harley Davidson Road Glide Special (HT Auto photo)
Engine Icon1868.0 cc Mileage Icon17.5 kmpl
₹ 34.99 Lakhs
Compare
Harley-davidson Harley Davidson Street Glide Special (HT Auto photo)
Engine Icon1868.0 cc Mileage Icon18.3 kmpl
₹ 31.99 Lakhs
Compare
Indian Springfield Dark Horse (HT Auto photo)
Engine Icon1890.0 cc Mileage Icon20.0 kmpl
₹ 28.57 Lakhs
Compare
Indian Chieftain Classic (HT Auto photo)
UPCOMING
Engine Icon1811.0 cc Mileage Icon20.0 kmpl
₹ 32.45 - 34.45 Lakhs
View Details
Yamaha Mt-15 (HT Auto photo)
Engine Icon155.0 cc Mileage Icon56.87 kmpl
₹ 1.67 - 1.73 Lakhs
Compare
View Offers
Yamaha R15 V4 (HT Auto photo)
Engine Icon155.0 cc Mileage Icon55.20 kmpl
₹ 1.82 - 1.97 Lakhs
Compare
View Offers

Also Read : This country to deploy special cameras to crackdown on distracted driving

The road accidents report further stated that a total of 3,66,138 road accidents have been reported by states and Union Territories (UTs) during the calendar year 2020, which claimed 1,31,714 lives and caused 3,48,279 injuries. It also noted that the total number of people killed in road accidents during 2020 has been less than that of 2019 by 12.6 per cent.

The report further informed that it is for the third consecutive year in 2020 that the fatal road accident victims largely constitute young people in the productive age groups. The young adults in the age group of 18-45 years accounted for 69 per cent of victims during 2020, while people in the working age group of 18-60 years share 87.4 per cent of total road accident fatalities.

Another notable point mentioned in the report is that both road accidents and accident-related killings are more of a rural phenomenon than an urban phenomenon as in 2020, 68 per cent of road accidents deaths took place in rural areas. On the other hand, urban areas accounted for 32 per cent of total deaths in the country.

(with inputs from PTI)

First Published Date: 26 May 2022, 10:00 AM IST
NEXT ARTICLE BEGINS

Please provide your details to get Personalized Offers on

Choose city
+91 | Choose city
Choose city

Want to get the best price for your existing car?

Powered by: Spinny Logo
By clicking "View Offers" you Agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy
Dear Name

Please verify your mobile number.

+91 | Choose city
Couldn't verify the OTP.
It's either expired or it's incorrect.