Home > Auto > News > Nissan denies reported plans to split with Renault
FILE PHOTO: The logo of Nissan Motor Co. is seen at its show room behind a traffic sign in Tokyo, Japan, February 12, 2019. REUTERS/Kim Kyung-hoon
FILE PHOTO: The logo of Nissan Motor Co. is seen at its show room behind a traffic sign in Tokyo, Japan, February 12, 2019. REUTERS/Kim Kyung-hoon

Nissan denies reported plans to split with Renault

  • According to sources, Nissan Motor executives have examined the possibility of breaking away from Renault SA amid concerns that relations with the longtime French partner have turned dysfunctional after the ouster of former chief Carlos Ghosn.

Japanese auto giant Nissan is "in no way" planning to end its partnership with Renault, the Japanese automaker insisted Tuesday after a report suggested a divorce was possible in the wake of the Carlos Ghosn scandal.

Britain's Financial Times, citing "several people with knowledge of the matter", said Monday that said senior executives at the scandal-hit firm were speeding up work on secret plans for a potential parting of ways with France's Renault.

Similar Cars

Help us with your basic details!

Choose city
+91 | Choose city
Choose city
Choose city
By clicking VIEW OFFERS you Agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy

Dear Name

Please verify your mobile number.

+91 | Choose city

We have recorded your information for the latest offer on model . Stay connected for further latest offers.

But in a statement, Nissan firmly denied the claims. "Nissan is in no way considering dissolving the alliance," the statement said.

"The alliance is the source of Nissan's competitiveness," the firm said, adding that it will look to continue delivering "win-win results for all member companies."

The partnership, which also includes Japan's Mitsubishi Motors, has been troubled since the shock arrest of its former chief Ghosn on charges of financial misconduct.

Ghosn, who last month jumped bail in Japan and fled to Lebanon, claims the charges against him were cooked up by disgruntled Nissan executives hoping to block his plans to more closely integrate the automaker with Renault.

In a news conference in Lebanon, he claimed the alliance was now on the rocks and directionless.

The alliance's new chief, Jean-Dominique Senard, earlier hit back at the reports of a planned split, telling Belgian daily L'Echo the claims had "no connection to the current situation of the alliance".

"The Renault-Nissan alliance is not dead! Soon we will show you why," he said in an interview published Tuesday.

"I ask myself, where does this sort of information come from? I am not sure it comes from a place of goodwill," Senard said.

Nissan fell nearly three percent Tuesday afternoon.

The 20-year partnership between Nissan and Renault, whose alliance is based on cross-shareholdings without a joint structure, has been badly shaken by the Ghosn scandal.

But Senard said the alliance was "nowhere near" the point of collapse and insisted its leaders were busy "recreating its original spirit" and planning future investments.

A source close to Nissan told AFP that the leaks probably came from "a few disgruntled souls" inside the company who wanted to "vent their frustration", adding that rebuilding trust between the two firms "will take time".

This story has been published from a wire agency feed without modifications to the text.

  • First Published Date : 14 Jan 2020, 12:31 PM IST